Start private conversations with your Niantic Friends through Direct Messages (DMs) or Group Messages with up to 10 other people. The Messages tab is the second tab on the bottom navigation bar and is where all Messages and Message Requests will appear:
Starting a Direct or Group Message (with people on your Friends List):
- From the Messages tab, click the blue icon on the bottom right, select up to 10 of your Niantic Friends, and click “Create”.
- You will always receive message requests from people that are not on your friends list. This setting is on by default, but you may disable it by going to your profile => click the settings icon on the top right => click “Message Requests” => disable.
- Note: You will not be able to receive messages from people who are not on your friends list if you disable message requests.
- To send a message request to someone that is not on your friends list, go to their Profile and click “Message”.
- Note: If you attempt to send a message to a non-friend that has disabled message requests, you will receive an error message “[USER] is not accepting message requests”.
- Message requests do not automatically create a Direct or Group Message and must be approved by the recipient. To review a request, go to the Messages tab and click on “Message Requests”
- Clicking on a message request shows the message with options to Accept, Decline, and Block or Report.
- If you accept the request, the message thread will be started and will appear normally in your Messages inbox.
- Within Direct and Group Messages, you may click on the “i” icon on the top right for more options.
- Here, you can view profiles, mute, block users, report users, and close the conversation.